Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spring Forward

FLF Collage 4_05_14

Whoa! Look who’s back after disappearing from this space for a month.

March was, in a word, ridiculous. It started with the Armadillo Dash Half-Marathon (complete with awesome medal, which you can see above!), included a trip to Dallas, another trip to Michigan, and nailed me with one of the worst colds I’ve had in my life. It also included some pretty significant personal growth, which rattled me quite a bit but is, I think, ultimately preparing me to be a better partner and a better provider to those who depend on me.

I haven’t had as much time to write since I started working this year. As a part-time freelancer, time management is something I’m learning all over again: how to manage my time with an uncertain work schedule and much more freedom than I’ve had while employed.

How about a few highlights from Ridiculous Rainy March?

* Paul and I spent an AMAZING weekend in Dallas with our friends Amber and Jeremy. They are always wonderful company, but before that, we met my professor friend Cliff for a fantastic day of food and science. Cliff taught me organic chemistry when I was an undergrad, and by now, he’s probably taught well over a thousand students that carbon has four bonds and oxygen will attack a nucleus.  It’s been more than ten years since I was his student in the proper student-professor sense of things, and now I consider him my friend and mentor.  While he was in Dallas and escaping the bitter cold of Michigan, we visited the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.  As Paul said, it was a very cool space in which to have hours of conversation about science and engineering.  With the exception of the crystal hall, we didn’t spend much time examining the exhibits; instead, it was more like the exhibits served as inspiration for our discussions.

On top of the fun of seeing the museum, Cliff got to meet Paul, which I loved.  They totally hit it off!

* After the weekend in Dallas, I flew to Michigan for my sister’s bridal shower.  Getting to Michigan turned out to be an unwanted adventure, but being there for the weekend was awesome.  Theresa and I got to spend an afternoon with our niece, and we celebrated the surprise marriage of my brother to his partner Thom.  The bridal shower was very fun and friendly.  Theresa’s future mother-in-law did most of the work, and it turned out beautifully.

* Even here in Texas, March was a cold, rainy month.  I got to enjoy a new pair of gray boots, and I’m so glad I decided to buy new boots because my old ones get wet really easily on rainy days.  With my uncertain income this year, I feel a lot of pressure to be very mindful of how I’m spending money.  New boots add so much to my overall comfort on a day-to-day level that I think they were totally worth the money.

* Did you guys catch the Ironman article in the April issue of Runner’s World?  I love Dimity McDowell’s writing—she’s funny and helpful and the kind of woman you’d like to call a friend.  Her Ironman experience was such an inspiring read.  (If you missed it, they published it on-line too!  Yay!)

* Speaking of exercise, I took it easy in March.  I wasn’t injured or anything, just super-busy and feeling too stressed to fit running into my days.  Instead, I made it a goal to walk every day…and then failed at that.  Sheesh.  This month I’m back at it, fitting at least 15 minutes of walking into each day.  (Though today, I think I’m counting my short walking commute to tutoring as my walk…that plus my bike ride to and from campus feels like enough for one day.)

* Finally, I’ve been doing some deep thinking about my relationships to money, work, and Paul.  I’m writing about my thoughts over on my other blog, if you’re interested.  Here is my latest post about two ideas that are giving me good reason to reconsider my money anxiety.  Enjoy!

Up next: my plans for April!  Have a great week, dear friends.  I’ve missed you and this little blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment