Monday, April 18, 2011

Yogi with a Bad Attitude

Leaves on Side of Tree

Yoga Update (4/10-4/17/11)

Yee-haw!  I’ve passed the 20-day mark of this 40 Days of Yoga project.  In fact, I made it to 21 days as of last night, which means only about five more weeks of feeling guilty that I haven’t finished 40 Days of Yoga.  I’m taking a rather cheeky attitude toward this whole thing right now because dammit, I need to finish!  Yoga isn’t supposed to make a person feel guilty; it’s supposed to make you feel good.  It still makes me feel good, but it also makes me feel guilty when I skip it to do less wholesome activities, like watching The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  That was a strange movie.  For a movie that is all about sex, it is surprisingly unsexy.  I hate when that happens!

I noticed that last week, I only did two yogadownload.com classes, and the rest of my yoga days were DIY and pajama yoga.  As much as I love the structured classes, sometimes I just want to be free to do my own thing for as long as I’d like.  Also, I hate pigeon pose.  Hate!  It hurts my hips, and I’m not sure if it’s actually improving my hip flexibility at all.  I do it when a class instructor leads me into the position, but when left to my own devices, I never do pigeon.

Well.  Now that we’ve gotten my bad attitude out of the way, here is my yoga week, listed for your reading pleasure:

Monday (4/11): I demonstrate my devotion to yoga by doing Gentle Hatha Yoga #3.  This is the class where Jackie leads us into gorilla pose, which is one of my favorite forward bend poses!  Just for gorilla pose, I love this class.

Tuesday (4/12): I take a few minutes before bed for some DIY yoga.  My back always needs to be stretched.

Wednesday (4/13): I skip yoga.  Instead, in the evening I take a walk and write instead.

Thursday (4/14): I do Morning Flow #1, my new favorite yoga class.  I do it in the evening, as usual.  I am so not a morning yoga person.

Friday (4/15): I almost skip yoga today!  However, ambition prevails and I choose some pajama yoga, which feels good on my sore back and legs.  I’ve been doing so much walking this week!

Saturday (4/16): Okay, I really do skip yoga today.  I watch a movie and sink into that pleasant, hey-it’s-Saturday! feeling.  After running errands, going to the lab, and cooking a batch of soup, I want to relax on the couch with something entertaining, hence the movie.  I almost feel like I don’t need yoga on Saturday, usually, because it’s easy to relax on Saturdays.  Plus I always run tons of errands on Saturday, so that means I’m on my bike or walking around town, and I get plenty of exercise.  Yoga on top of all that running around would be too much.

Sunday (4/17): Today I do a very special kind of DIY pajama yoga.  First, I unroll my yoga mat, which doesn’t always happen during pj yoga.  Second, I am careful not to mush my toenails into the mat, as I have given myself my first pedicure of the season, and I’d like to neither smudge my toes nor get nail polish all over my mat.  Mission accomplished!  And the yoga is nice too: I do a longer-than-usual DIY session, which feels great after all the walking and biking this week.

* * *

19 more days to go, dear reader!  Wish me luck.  Have a stretchy, flowing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment