Thursday, April 28, 2011

Let’s Not Skirt the Issue

Happy

Over the Shoulder

Faux Walking

Wednesday’s Bike Ride Commute (4/27/11)

Hey hey!  How has your week been?  Mine has been pretty good.  I had two big things this week at work, a seminar I organized and a lab meeting presentation.  They are both done now, and no tears were shed, so I shall consider this week a success.  But more importantly, let’s take bikes and skirts!

Last week, I was shocked and dismayed to discover that trying to bike in my favorite knee-length red skirt is a pain in the butt.  The skirt in question is not particularly tight, but it’s just tight enough and long enough to make it difficult to pedal comfortably.  So it was with some trepidation that I decided to try biking in another knee-length skirt this week.  This patterned black skirt that I’m wearing in the photos above hangs a little past my knees, as you can see.  Pessimist that I am, I didn’t expect this skirt to be bike-friendly…but it is!  It’s breezy and comfortable and I feel both sporty and girly wearing it while I pedal my way to work.

During the long Texas summer, I favor skirts over shorts, so it’s nice to find another skirt in my closet that will work for my bike-commuting days.  For modesty’s sake, I prefer to bike in longer skirts, but clearly not all of my longer skirts are going to work on pedaling days.  I want to know how Tania bikes in this skirt!

This was the wind’s response to my photo shoot yesterday:

Oops

Oops.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on the biking in a skirt conundrum! I fear I have given a free show on windy days to too many drivers. Sometimes I hike up my skirt and use a clothespin to keep the insides together, but even that can be a little risque. I think I might start packing my nice clothes and changing when I get to work - especially when it gets hot and I'm covered in sweat after my one mile commute.

    Your skirt is very cute! I hope you figure out a good compromise with your bike soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy, whoops! I hear you on the free show bit! But I'd be sort of afraid that I would stab myself with a clothespin while I'm biking...ouch.

    I can see what you are saying about your commute. One mile is just long enough to get sweaty, and it's pretty gross to arrive at work, soaked. I get sweaty too, but I hate bringing even more stuff with me to work, so I just mop myself off in the bathroom and figure it's "clean" sweat (because I showered that morning!), so I won't be smelly for the day. You'll have to ask my co-workers if my strategy works ;-)

    ReplyDelete