Monday, September 15, 2014

Back to Work!

Hello

Well, well, well!  Guess who hardly took any photos last week?  That would be moi, so you get a close-up of Lu’s face.  Check out those pretty white whiskers!

The cold front this weekend brought some spectacular weather to Texas.  It was cool and rainy and we all just basked in it.  I went running twice, only to realize how desperately out of running shape I am.  Oh well—it comes back, right?

FLF_Week of September 8 cropped

On a different note, our lives are getting busier here at Feels Like Flying headquarters.  The academic semester is picking up speed; all three of us here in this house have tutoring gigs this week.  I completed 12 billable hours this week, which is only 8 short of my minimum goal of 20 hours.  That might not sound like a lot, but when you’re freelancing and still pretty new to the game, landing billable hours can be really hard.  Or maybe it’s not so much that it’s hard as it’s a game of putting your best stuff out there and waiting patiently to see if anyone wants to work with you.  The waiting is hard.  Being patient is hard.  Doing the work?  That’s a lot easier.

But all of that is to say that we are all feeling hopeful that our house will land on its feet, financially.  I’m writing about some of this stuff over at my other blog in a series called “Budgeting for Freelancers.”  Rather than rehash the boring generic advice that one can find via a simple search, I want to tell our story and what budgeting means for us, real people with hopes and fears and savings and debt and the unknown future, winking at us in secret collaboration.

Because that’s what it’s all about, right?  Our stories.  Generic advice is meant for a generic audience.  But you, my dears, you are the ones to whom I tell my stories.  And even though I’m totally rusty at this writing thing, I’d like to start writing again more regularly.  Why is routine so hard at some points in life?  I’d like my routines back, please.  Or maybe I just want my writing time back.

Things may be getting busier, but they are starting to feel more like a routine.  Slowly, surely, I’ll get back to my running and writing routines, right?  Right.

Happy routine-following, my dears.

2 comments:

  1. We have also been enjoying some cool and rainy weather! Also, I am reading every word you write and keep meaning to comment, but I'm deep in my own suddenly busy routine (yay, routines!) and keep thinking, I will comment on the next post. I just wanted you to know I'm here and loving your blogs, as usual - especially the budgeting posts! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, friend! It's amazing how busy life feels as a self-employed person, so I can understand where you are. I too keep reading your blog (and following you on Twitter!) and always love to hear what's happening with you. A while back you said something about feeling content to wait until you had something to say, and I feel much the same way. Without as much time to write for the blog(s), something has to change, so I totally get it.

      I still love blogging and my blogs, and I'll keep writing as life and time permit :-) I hope you do the same!

      Delete