Monday, December 17, 2012

(Not so) Deep Thoughts

Is running a metaphor for science?  Is science a metaphor for running?  Maybe there is truth to be found from both angles.  At any rate, it is the eleventh hour (metaphorically speaking) for the grant proposal that has been a year in the making and already rejected twice.  I feel much the same way I do in the final miles of a half-marathon: damn, I’m so ready for this thing to be done.  But the only way it will be done is if I finish strong.  It doesn’t matter how I feel: all that matters is putting one foot in front of the other. 

So for the next two days, nothing else matters other than reading, writing, revising, and re-revising this grant.  Soon it will be out of my hands, and I’ll be able to rest easy knowing that I gave it my very best.  That I stayed focused on the common goal.  That I looked into the future and I wanted what it was offering me.  That I remembered it’s not about me; it’s about the science.  By doing my part, I am serving as a vehicle for bringing new knowledge into the world.

And you know what?  That’s pretty cool.  Who says science can’t be a spiritual experience?

I’m keeping the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment