Sunday, January 30, 2011

An Even 30

January Sky at Sunset

Friday’s Run (1/28/11)

After a week of walking, biking, and cooking, it was time to hit the pavement again, sneakers on and bike left behind.  We’ve had a warm spell here in Texas, which has been delightful, but it’s still January, which means the sun starts to set before 6 PM and I end up running in the dark.  I would much rather run during daylight hours, but that only happens on the weekends when I’ve been unchained from my bench and the flies have to fend for themselves for a few days.

On Friday, I did an easy 30-minute run, taking my favorite neighborhood loop.  I felt fine and not surprisingly, 30 minutes feels like a warm-up compared to the 80- and 90-minute long runs that I’m doing on the weekends.  Still, it’s nice to have some easy running in between the long runs.  The easy runs feel like a reward for the hard work of grinding out 7, 8, 9 miles at a time, all in the hope of running a half-marathon in less than two hours.  I’ll be happy to finish the half, but now that I’ve confessed I have my eye on a finishing time, I’m becoming more focused on that goal.  I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment