Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Keeping the Pace

Saturday’s Run (5/29/10)

At some point, I really must lay it all out for you: the nitty-gritty details of what’s going on behind the scenes here.  And I will, sooner or later.  I promise.  I suppose that bit of writing is the final moment of hesitation before I fully, wholeheartedly, two-leggedly commit to the biggest fitness goal I’ve set my eyes on yet.  A challenge is all in the eyes of the beholder, and this one is big to me.  Soon, soon I’ll spill the beans.

But for now, we reach all the way back to last Saturday, when I hopped on the treadmill again to do a tempo run.  To me, “tempo” means a speed that is faster than your normal long-run pace.  It’s fast enough to challenge, but it shouldn’t leave you gasping for breath.  It’s stepping things up to make your lungs and legs work a little harder in the hopes of building some endurance at a faster pace.

I like tempo runs a lot.  They make me feel strong and confident.  Saturday’s run was a great example of this: 20 minutes, no breaks, 9-minute-mile pace. I felt great!  I definitely had to work to keep up the pace, but it wasn’t so hard that I felt like I wanted to quit the whole time.  I hate to say this, but I might be starting to like this treadmill thing.  It is a really great piece of equipment for working on speed and escaping the blazing inferno outside that bakes me alive.  I anticipate more treadmill work-outs in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment