Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Quiet, Well-Fed Sunday

Afternoon Shadows

Kinda Cool Huh

Week of January 6, 2013:

Monday: DIY yoga

Tuesday: Evening run (20 minutes)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Bike ride commute

Friday: Evening run (30 minutes)

Saturday: Very short bike ride for groceries

Total minutes run this week: 111 (happy trumpet!)

Week of January 13, 2013:

Sunday: Long run (70 minutes long slow distance)

Another wintry day, another great long run, deep in the heart of Texas!  I absolutely love winter running down here, and I’m so happy to be doing long runs right now.  I’m finding that once I pass the 50-minute mark, everything feels very zen: the rhythm of my feet on the pavement, my breath synchronized with my legs, and I feel like I could run forever.  Of course, about 10 minutes later, my legs start whining, “Are we done yet?  Cause we’re tired and want to stop.”  But for a few minutes, before the whining starts, it is absolute running bliss.

I’ve had a very quiet weekend in the wake of my big talk and all the preparation for it.  I didn’t even need to go into the lab because I had no fly stuff to take care of.  I tried to make the most of my weekend by doing a ton of cooking, perhaps even more than usual.  In the past two days, I have made a big batch of tomato soup, a black bean salad, brown rice, and some roasted Brussels sprouts and chickpeas.  I now have some leftovers of all of these things (leftovers = LUNCH!).  I’m also pretty well-stocked with ingredients, too, from a big shop last week and a small shop yesterday.  Being prepared makes me feel ready to tackle the new week.  (And whenever I don’t feel prepared for something, you can bet I’m a hot mess.  Control freak, you say?  Yeah, I’d say so.)

In other news, I received my new bike lights from Planet Bike!  I haven’t yet figured out how to mount them on my bike, so that’s on my agenda for this week.  Also on my agenda: a marathon update, some cauliflower “fried rice,” and more time with my new book (Quiet by Susan Cain—it’s fantastic).

Happy week, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment