Friday, January 6, 2012

Healthy Again! (Almost…)

Fence with Trees and Shadow

Trees with Color

Week of January 1, 2012:

Sunday: Walk

Monday: Sprints + Short run

Tuesday: Bike

Wednesday: Walk (very, very slowly…)

Thursday: A little strength training

Friday: Walk (faster this time!)

One of the inevitabilities of traveling, at least for me, is that I get sick every time I visit Michigan.  Every time!  It’s ridiculous.  I think there is a combinatorial effect between the long travel day and exposure to a bunch of Midwestern germs such that my immune system just can’t keep up with the demands.  So here I am, back in Texas for over a week and today I finally feel like this cold is receding.

But the trip was worth it!  I had a great time with my family, and JD and I even managed to burn off some holiday calories with two runs, which he wrote about here.  Thanks, JD!  He totally kicked my butt during our 6-miler, but I see I redeemed myself during our 2-miler.

Since returning to Texas, running has been on the back burner while I cough and sniffle and feel my feverish forehead.  I hate being cooped up in the house, particularly when the weather is lovely, so I tried to get outside a bit every day this week, mostly for walks.  I figure that slow, short walks don’t put much stress on my immune system, right?  And just as I typed that, my immune system responded by saying, “Cough cough cough!”  Hrrmm.  Maybe I should have been on bed rest this week!

I am trying something fun and interesting with my running.  I heard on a podcast that there was a study that found that one minute of exercise every day is enough to keep diabetes at bay.  What must one do for one minute for this magical effect?  Two 20-second sprints of something, going all out, with a 10-second break between the two sprints.  In the study, I think the subjects did sprints on stationary bikes, but I’m going to do my sprints on foot.  I don’t have diabetes or any chronic health problems (current cold excluded), but it’s fun to try different things with your running.  I figure it gives me a chance to work my fast-twitch muscles, which, to be honest, don’t get much use.  Or perhaps I should say they don’t get enough use.

I figure I can do my little sprints twice a week, just for fun.  Why not?  Also on the agenda: half-marathon training with Christy on Sunday!  I’m excited to see my friend and get back into my sneakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment