Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Weeks 1 and 2 are on the books!

 On Father's Day{How I want to remember this summer}

Marathon Training Week One (Week of June 10, 2013):

Monday: 50-min. run

Tuesday: Traveling (College Station—>Houston—>Baltimore—>Detroit)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Off

Friday: 20-min. run

Saturday: Off

Sunday: 10K! Finished in 1:10:26 (so, a 70-minute long run for today)

Total minutes run this week: 140.

Marathon Training Week Two (Week of June 17, 2013):

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 30-minute run, I think

Wednesday: Walked several miles with the parents

Thursday: 24-minute run

Friday: Off to Ohio for a wedding!

Saturday: Busy being a bridesmaid

Sunday: Gone to the beach with my big brother and the kiddos

Total minutes run this week: 54

Marathon Training Week Three (Week of June 24, 2013):

Monday: 34-minute run after a day at Lake Huron with my sister-in-law and the kiddos

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: LONG RUN! 50 minutes.

Whew! Okay, that was a marathon-length catch-up.  I’ve been blogging a little bit over at my other blog, but for the most part, I’ve been eating ice cream, chasing kids around, and playing the game of Life with my six-year-old niece.  It’s been a nice vacation up here in the Mitten; tomorrow I return to Texas for a breather and to prep for my next and final trip of the summer.

(Whew! is all I can say about that right now.)

On the running front, things are going okay, I guess.  JD and I ran a 10K a few Sundays ago; we didn’t set any records for speed, but we did get 6.2 miles on the books for our marathon training, so that's not too shabby.  Last week was a bit of an underperformance for me; my friend Shawn Marie got married over the weekend.  When I got back to Michigan and my brother asked me if I wanted to go to the beach with him and the kids, I couldn’t say no.  So I didn’t.  The next day, my sister-in-law and I took the kids to Lake Huron for a few hours, and that was completely lovely: hot sand, cold lake, a picnic lunch, and two very happy children hanging out with their friends at the lake.

This week I hope to redeem myself.  I’ve got two runs done, including a long run today, and I hope to run on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to get some solid mileage on the books.  I had a moment of despair about marathon training earlier this week when I was kinda beating myself up about not having enough discipline to stick rigidly to the marathon training plan I’m following.  Since then, I have forgiven myself and moved on.  A wedding weekend and a few days at the beach don’t have to derail me, right?  And hopefully while we’re traveling, Paul and I can get in some work-outs in between our vacation fun.  I fully intend to eat ice cream and drink wine while we’re out West, but I also hope to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, hike through forests, and wander the streets of Denver.  And that, I suppose, is the truth about marathon training: it’s got to fit around regular life somehow.

Happy summer, dear readers!

1 comment:

  1. I admire your dedication to training through the summer! I'm basically on a vacation from running right now, but I'm also not training for anything. I think you've got a good attitude, especially in the beginning - run those miles, but don't burn out too soon. Ice cream, wine, and hikes are all excellent training goals! ;)

    ReplyDelete