Monday, September 2, 2013

Special Edition: “She freaking made it.”

FLF_Diana Nyad JPEG_cropped{Screenshot from here}

There was a very exciting event this weekend.  Diana Nyad (do you remember I blogged about her TED talk long ago?) finally conquered her dream of swimming from Cuba to Florida.  It took her five tries (damn those jellyfish), but today, TODAY, she made it.

What an exciting accomplishment!  My friend Liz posted about the event on Facebook, and I was excited to catch the last part of the 50+-hour swim.  Diana’s blog feed is full of fun real-time updates from the swim.  At two miles from the Florida shore, she stopped to say thank you to her crew, and I bet it was a very touching moment for all who got to hear it.

“I am about to swim my last two miles in the ocean. This is a lifelong dream of mine and I'm very very glad to be with you. Some on the team are the most intimate friends of my life and some of you I've just met. But I'll tell you something, you're a special group. You pulled through; you are pros and have a great heart. So let's get going so we can have a whopping party."

Such an inspiring story.  It makes a marathon look like a walk in the park.

(More about marathon training soon.  Happy day to you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment