Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Part Where I Huff and Puff

This morning I woke up to find that I have a new roommate.

My New Roommate

He’s been sleeping all morning.  Before I left for my run, I asked him to clean the apartment for me.  I figure it’s the least he can do if he’s going to stay here without paying rent.

On Sundays, I like to run in the late morning, about two hours after I finish breakfast.  I do not like to run before I’ve eaten anything, and I prefer to eat a full breakfast before I run and then let my belly digest things for a while.  My breakfast routine is usually either oatmeal or cold cereal, and this morning it was a bowl of banana oatmeal topped with lots of goodies: dried cherries, chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and a spoonful of peanut butter.  My breakfasts are always kinda hefty because I’m a calorie-burning machine, and I need my fuel.

A Bowl of Goodies

This morning’s run was a repeat: 2 x 10 minutes with 5 minutes walking in between sets.  Starting off, I felt sluggish and slow, and my breathing was really struggling.  Every footfall felt jarring, like I could feel the world moving up and down as I bounced along.  About 3 minutes into my run, I decided to slow down my pace so that I could breathe more easily.  That was much better.  To make up for my slow starting pace, I decided to run the second 10 minutes slightly faster than usual—nothing outrageous, just a tiny bit of a pick-up.  It worked well: my breathing was easier and my legs were fine.  By the end, I felt like I had a nice work-out, despite the rough start.

And now, I’m free for the rest of the day!  I’ve got a few items on my to-do list, but most of it is fun stuff, so that makes me happy.  I love Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment