Sunday, September 30, 2012

(Not so) Snappy



Week of September 23, 2012:
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Morning run (25 minutes) + Evening bike ride for groceries
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Morning run (25 minutes)
Friday: Off (other than a brief bike ride to Half-Price Books)
Saturday: Bike ride to work and HEB for groceries...in the rain! 

Total minutes run this week: 104.  Whoa!

 
Week of September 30, 2012: 
Sunday: Long run (55 minutes)

I'm going to try to make this snappy because I don't have much time.  I am blogging to you from an undisclosed location.  Yesterday, I broke my laptop computer's screen, so my main computer (my baby!) is now unusable until it is repaired by Dell.  I'll ship the computer off to Dell some time this week, and hopefully it comes back quickly, but until then, it's going to be tough for me to blog with the same panache as usual.  If the formatting seems different on this post, it's because I'm using the Blogger interface rather than my usual Windows Live Writer, so it's hard for me to tell which settings to use.

Anyway, the broken computer was the low point of this weekend.  There have been several high points: a great long run this morning, complete with cool temperatures, drizzly rain, and a cute runner dude who said, "Howdy" as he flew past me.  I bet he was doing speedwork, and a nice job he was doing indeed.  When I passed him with my slow and steady pace, he said, "Good job."  I replied, "Thanks, you too!"  It was a sweet moment.  I'll admit it: as a straight female, I love kindhearted male attention.  I don't like catcalls or mocking; I'm not a big fan of any interaction that reeks of competition.  But a friendly hello or a sincere-looking smile?  Oh yes, I'm down with that.

This morning's run was really wonderful.  I felt strong and serene, running for almost an hour.  I can't believe I'm running such long distances and it's only the end of September!  I've been thinking about what my goals will be for my next half-marathon: sub-1:55?  Sub-1:50?!?  I think the former is totally do-able: I'm already in pretty good running shape, and my next half is five months away.  I feel like it won't be too much of a stretch to get just a bit faster to break 1:55.  1:50, however, is a new beast, but I think it's worth considering how I might incorporate some speedwork into longer runs to get close to a 1:50 finish time.  I'm not sure--these ideas are just possibilities.  And then, after the half-marathon, there will be marathon training.  I've got ideas for that as well--training plans, travel plans.  I'm so, so excited about meeting several of you in Chicago next year.  What a trip that will be!

But for now, there is a broken computer to send off, a new week on the horizon, and a Nature paper that I need to download.  Have a great week, my dears.

2 comments:

  1. Poor computer! I hope it returns to you all better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So sad, right? But it's probably for the best: my computer had been overheating (which is how I ended up breaking the screen), and the folks at Dell have promised that with my $400 repair, they will check everything minus the battery: hard drive, fan, hardware, everything. My hope is that by putting so much money into a repair/check-up, my laptop will last another 3-4 years with minimal expense for upkeep.

      As far as injuries go, I was lucky with this one. It will only cost me money and the minor inconvenience of not having a computer at home. So I'm grateful for that!

      Delete