Saturday, May 7, 2011

On Bike-Riding, Profanity, and Not Getting Killed

Arches are Beautiful

Old Main Sign

Me and Bike Again

Bike-Riding Extravaganza!  Wednesday-Friday Bike Ride Commutes (5/4-5/6/11)

It’s been two wheels, all the time around here, at least when it comes to my daily commute.  It’s finals time for the undergrads, so the bus service is on some funky reduced schedule, and I’m feeling too impatient to tailor my schedule to the bus schedule.  So bike commuting it is!  It’s been nice to be on the bike this week, as the crazy winds have died down and it’s been much cooler this week.  On Friday, I even participated in my first Courteous Mass, a group bike-riding event, which I’ll tell you more about tomorrow. 

On a somewhat related note, I was almost killed twice today.  Twice!  The first scary moment happened this afternoon when I was waiting for the light to change so I could cross Wellborn.  Some asshole completely ran the red light, and I don’t mean that sly maneuver where you speed up to slip through a yellow light before it changes.  The light was RED, everyone else was stopped, and this truck comes flying—FLYING!—through the red light.  It was really lucky for me that while waiting for the light to change, I had ducked back into the shade.  The sun was pretty fierce today, and it was hot, so the shade was inviting.  The shady spot was a few feet back from the road, so when the light changed, it took me a few moments to go from the sidewalk into the street, during which time the asshole ran the red light.  I am not above flipping drivers the bird when they do such dangerously stupid things, though I realize that in a state like Texas, it’s also dangerous to flip people off (concealed weapons, you know).  I try to keep my middle finger to myself, but sometimes it slips out.  I still can’t believe that guy.  What could possibly be so important that you have to put lives in danger so that you won’t be late?

The second time was not quite as scary, but I am still appalled by this driver.  It happened just a few minutes ago.  I stepped outside to check my mail, and as I was walking back through the parking lot to my apartment, this truck (it’s always guys driving trucks!) is flying into the lot.  Now, I’m generally afraid of the parking lot because I see how fast people drive, but this guy still took me by surprise.  I get myself out of his way by walking over to the left, and all of a sudden he makes a sharp turn and drives his truck hard in the same direction that I am walking.  He pulls into a parking spot and kind of stares at me, as I stare at him, dumbstruck by his driving.  Still stunned, I shake my head a little and keep walking home, cursing to myself about what a dumbfuck he is.

I realize there have been a lot of obscenities in my posts this week.  I’m sorry about that.  I hate crickets and selfish drivers—they bring out the sailor in me!  My mother especially hates it when people curse.  She thinks it reflects a lack of eloquent communication skills.  I’m not sure about that.  The most eloquent person I know drops f-bombs quite happily and loves it when I do the same.  (Men!)  I’m not quite as liberal as he is, but cursing under my breath is a daily activity for me.  I feel like if your cursing isn’t bothering anyone else, then what’s the harm?  What’s your take on profanity, dear reader?  (I would never use vulgar terms for you!  You are awesome!)

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. So sorry for your run in with big trucks. It's always the big trucks, isn't it? When I ride, I never assume I have the right of way and always triple check before crossing the street, even if the light is red. Too many close calls!

    Also, I am fine with profanity. I don't use it that much (according to my standards, at least) but it doesn't faze me in the slightest. If an author uses it too much, I begin to think they're lazy, but any over-used word makes me feel that way. I think there is nothing so refreshing and disarming as a well placed f-bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy, you're smart to be so careful in Texas. I think the drivers here are much more reckless than drivers in the North. I suspect those giant trucks give them a sense of fearlessness that translates to bad driving. With the guy who ran the red light, honestly, I am so lucky that I was feeling hot and lethargic that afternoon because I could have easily been right in his path when he tried to speed through the intersection.

    Hee hee! What a terrific line: "I think there is nothing so refreshing and disarming as a well placed f-bomb!" I love that. I feel the same way about profanity and vocabulary, but a well-placed f-bomb can be quite potent. I admire its strength :-)

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fine with profanity and use it frequently. I even drop the F-bomb upon occasion in class, although I am trying to use them less frequently so they will have higher shock value.

    ReplyDelete