Monday, June 18, 2012

Free Training Advice

I mentioned in my last post that my friend Tom offered me a little training plan for this week.  He’s so sweet!  I tend to shy away from talking about running with hardcore runners because I fear they won’t respect the role that running has in my life.  Male runners in particular intimidate me, so I’m rather surprised that it’s so fun and easy to talk about running with Tom.  I’m grateful for his kindness and his friendship.

For this week, I’ve decided to take him up on his free training advice.  Here’s the plan for the rest of week:

* Monday: Easy 2-3 miles

* Tuesday: Off (I will probably bike to the grocery store.)

* Wednesday: 4 miles, with 2 miles of warming up followed by some speedwork: 3 reps of 1 minute easy, 1 minute 10K pace, 1 minute 5K pace.  Then cool down.

* Thursday: Off (I’m flying north!)

* Friday: Easy 2-3 miles to shake out the traveling kinks.

* Saturday: 10K race!

Note that this plan has me running more days than I normally do, but I also won’t have access to my bike after Wednesday.  It’s like replacing my cross-training via bike with some easy miles, which should be fine.  And I have to say, it’s both flattering and amusing that Tom has taken an interest in my training since I’m so much less serious about running than he is.  But I’m serious enough to put my money where my legs are when it comes to racing, so there’s that.

Have you ever worked with a running coach or a personal trainer?  What did you think of the experience?  Would you do it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment