Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Sooner You Run, the Sooner You Can Drink Wine!

Thursday Night Red Wine

Week of June 10, 2012:

Monday: Yoga (Gentle Hatha #3)

Tuesday: Off (rained out!).  I snuck in some push-ups and crunches before bed.

Wednesday: Bike commute

Thursday: Short run (favorite 30-minute loop)

Tonight there was a clear sign that I have acclimated to Texas.  It was sunny and 90+ degrees F when I set out for my run, and as I settled into a rhythm, I thought, It’s not too hot out tonight!

Let me repeat: Sunny.  90+ degrees.  And somehow that was okay!  Amazing, I tell you.  Okay, I will confess that there was a gentle breeze and lots of shade for the first half of my run, and the shade especially was quite lovely.

Today I think I needed a run because I’m feeling a bit down and frustrated about my experimental results.  Things were going so well, but now as I am finishing up the final set of animals, the data are unraveling.  Dammit!  I’m not sure if it’s a numbers issue, if I’m just seeing outliers that are throwing off the averages and the stats, but I am not enjoying this dip in my progress.  I can feel my motivation slowly draining away as my momentum feels like it’s being halted right in its tracks.  But at least tonight I had a good run, and I ate pan-fried quesadillas and steamed kale while drinking a very tasty Malbec.  I’ve also (mostly) cleaned up the kitchen, packed my lunch, prepped for breakfast, and now I’m typing in my pajamas.  I wanted to watch a film about turtles called Turtle: The Incredible Journey, but I seem to have run out of time tonight.

Since the film is about animals, and I am a biologist, do you think it would be okay if I watched it at work tomorrow?  I mean, all the men are watching soccer games this week, so can I watch a turtle movie instead?  Yes?

Bonus photo: my encounter with a real-life turtle last year, a day before my birthday.  I caught her trying to cross the road and felt compelled to whisk her to safety.

Waiting

1 comment:

  1. You can see the turtle was pretty shy. And Matt is convinced that it must have been a she because male turtles are immensely lazy and only travel when it's mating time.

    ReplyDelete