Monday, October 18, 2010

I Get Lost

Man I Love Trees!

Saturday and Sunday’s Bike Rides (10/16-10/17/10)

One of the things I love best about running and bike riding is the chance to get a little lost, right in my very own town.  On two feet or two wheels, I can explore all the nooks and crannies, the side streets and parks and fields, as slowly or as quickly as I would like.  Sometimes it feels like the perfect escape.

This weekend was another working weekend, and I was on the bike for the commute to and from the lab.  On the way home Sunday, I decided to take the scenic route home, pedaling along side streets that I don’t see every day.  The unfamiliar sites were pleasantly distracting; I felt a temporary release from my anxious mind and its thundercloud of worries.  As I was riding home, I desperately wanted to treat myself to a pumpkin spice latte at It’s a Grind, but since it was already past 2 PM and I’m a bit sensitive to caffeine, I settled for a big mug of mint tea, a cookie bar, and a good chat with a wonderful friend.  Even better, of course, would have been to have coffee and a chat in person, but in lieu of plane tickets and time off from work, a phone date worked quite nicely.  I wish I had something deeper to say about all this, but all I can think is, I miss my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment