Thursday, December 30, 2010

Indulge Me

Don’t mind me; I’m just going to interrupt our normal fitness-and-outdoor fun to share my outfit with you today.  I make no secret of the fact that I have fallen so hard for fashion blogs in the last five months or so, but I also know I could not possibly write my own style blog for more than a week or two.  I like that I wear clothes I owned in high school and college (the latter of which ended seven years ago for me!).  I’m frugal and tend not to wear trendy clothes, preferring my own quirky sense of style and my old, comfortable clothes.

So what’s the deal with me and fashion/style blogs?  One thing that really appeals to me is the creative remixing of the same articles of clothing to build outfits that look fresh and fun.  I love the idea of 30-for-30 and have enjoyed following along with the fall remixing of the last two months.  I’m even toying with the idea of doing my own little 30-for-30, minus all the photography and blogging.  New year, new outfits, same closet?  We shall see.

The other thing I like about style blogs is simply aesthetic: they’re pretty.  And they’re something other than food blogs, which, even though I continue to write mine, I think I’ve spent too much time reading.  These days I am drawn more to blogs that share pieces of everyday life and that tell stories.  I find that style blogs are always telling stories: what was the weather, what was on the schedule for that day, what was the mood.  I love seeing how other people live their everyday lives, and I think style tells those stories as much as food does.

If you don’t mind, I’m going to indulge myself here with a little fashion post.  Because I got new clothes for Christmas and I want to wear them.  Because it was sunny outside today, and I felt like taking my own picture.  Because I remain convinced that if I can prove to all my Michigan people that Texas is awesome, they will move down here and we can be neighbors (sun + warmth + December = awesome).

Posing with Help from the Wind

Faux Fashion Blogger

Fantastic Belt

Materials and Methods*

Top (green sweater with attached tank and black snap belt): iz Byer California, gift from awesome friend Heather

Jeans: Gap, hemmed by wonderful lady on Main Street in Evanston, IL

Black belt with silver buckle: Target, ancient

Black socks: Gift from sister Theresa

Black flats: Payless, I think

Red hair: Gift from red-headed mother

*a touch of nerd, a la What Would a Nerd Wear.  But I’m a scientist, so my nerd-style is more PLoS and less PMLA.

I wore two belts today!  I am ridiculous.  One belt I wore for fashion, and the other I wore to keep my pants up.  I adore this top that my friend Heather bought me, complete with gratuitous snap belt, the details of which you can see in the photo above.  The green color and fabric of the sweater is really lush.  I think I’ll be wearing this top over and over again.  The only bummer is that it’s a hand wash-only piece.

For the curious, when I went outside this afternoon in my short sleeves, I was totally comfortable.  The temperature must have been in the 60s because it felt warm and lovely, like a fantastic spring day.  Yes, it’s insane to have days like this in December (almost January!), but it’s hard to say no when the sun feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment