Thursday, January 27, 2011

“But please, remember me, my misery, and how it lost me all I wanted”

 Indoor Posing

Business in the Front

Party in the Back!

Wednesday’s Chaos (1/26/11)

Yesterday was neither the best of days nor the worst of days, but it certainly had my mood bouncing up and down like a two-year-old on a trampoline.  The good: a gorgeously warm day; lunch with a friend at the new Indian restaurant in town; delicious Indian-style lemon rice and creamy spinach and peas; a new pink headband; finding my favorite kind of malt powder at a Kroger’s where I don’t usually shop.  The bad: losing my hat and gloves some time during or after lunch; not being able to find my lost items anywhere at work; spending most of my evening trying to find the hat and gloves; feeling sad about not taking photos of the beautiful sunset; snagging my new tights on the Velcro from my bag.

But!  Eventually finding my beloved hat and gloves at the Kroger customer service counter put a good dent in all that bad.  Having a friend who is willing to drive back across town in search of my lost belongings also made me feel better, or at least well-cared-for.

When I finally made it home, I was exhausted and completely frazzled, so I decided to focus on calming myself down.  My exhaustion pushed me toward yoga instead of the run I had planned.  I had ridden my bike to work, but I didn’t ride it home because of the change in plans when I realized I had lost my warm things.  It was sad not riding home yesterday because the weather was perfect, and I wanted to enjoy the evening while pedaling my way to home base.

The yoga, however, was really nice, even though I was a bit too much of a space cadet to follow all the instructions.  I did the 20-minute Morning Flow #1 (never mind that it was evening) and loved all the backbends and wheel poses.  I’d never done more than one wheel pose in a yoga session, so it was challenging to do it two or three times.  I confess that I couldn’t hold the final one, and I have no idea how I was supposed to lift my leg while maintaining the pose.  But I do know that I’d like to do this class again.  I even downloaded the pose guide; like I said, my spacey frame of mind made it a tricky to do a new yoga class.

Two other awesome things from yesterday.  First, my hair!  I decided to try out the headband/bun combination, and I think it worked.  With my crazy bun, I dub this look “business in the front, party in the back.”  You know, like a mullet, but prettier.

And second was Kate’s funny post about de-lurking.  She perfectly described how I feel about blogging.  Most of the time, I feel like some deranged narcissist, always writing about myself, blah blah blah.  But sometimes I get comments, and I don’t feel so alone with this strange internet hobby of mine.  So cheers to de-lurking, and having readers, and being able to learn so much from each other, even though we’ve never met in person.  Kate rocks my socks.

* This post’s title is a line from a song I love, “The Trapeze Swinger,” by Iron & Wine.  It’s a good reminder that much of life is what you make of it: misery or joy, tears or laughter, disappointment or gratitude.  I struggle with this, so it’s good to be reminded to look toward the sunnier parts of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment