Sunday, January 9, 2011

Even with Sadness, We Ride Forward

I’m deeply saddened today to learn about the shootings in Arizona on Saturday.  I am not a politically active person, but I believe that violence is never the answer, no matter which political party you call your own.  And while I believe in free speech and protecting liberties, we must remember that our words have a power that is endowed upon them by the listener.  “Vitriolic rhetoric,” to borrow words from the Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, is not something to be taken lightly.  We’ve got to fight against this hatred, but we must do so with our words and nonviolence…and dare I say it, loveAn eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

I must confess that I feel a little shallow posting about my bike ride around town in the wake of such a heartwrenching tragedy, but everyday life carries us forward.  So does hope, for the victims of this tragedy, for the families of those who were killed, and for a better tomorrow. 

* * *

Bike and Earl

Bike and Me on the Military Walk

Schwinn Twins!

Friday’s Bike Ride (1/07/11)

The bike commuting resumes!  After all that bike-riding last week, I took advantage of the bus this week, but by Friday, I was ready for another bike commute.  I rode to work in the pretty morning sun, happy to be on my bike again.  In the evening, I rode the bike across town to HEB, my second favorite grocery store in the area.  (My first is the charming and tiny hippie store, Brazos Natural Foods.)

Since I do not have a car, and I have two grocery stores located in close proximity to my home, I don’t go to HEB too often.  It’s very exciting when I do!  They’ve got all sorts of organic goodies and really great fresh tortillas.  On Friday, I got it into my head that I wanted to make red onion and kale burritos (inspired by this cute post over at public::bookstore), so I bought two big bunches of organic kale and spicy “Southwestern”-flavored tortillas.  Back at the ranch, I made my burritos by taste and by feel and by borrowing a few tricks from my friend Amutha, who taught me how to make her delicious channa masala last week.  The burritos were fantastic—the perfect end to a somewhat difficult week.

Let’s hope today is the start of a better week for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment